What to do when severe weather strikes:
* Reduce speed, keeping enough power to maintain headway.
* Put on PFDs.
* Turn on running lights.
* Head for the nearest shore or safe harbor that is safe to approach, if possible.
* Head bow of boat into waves at 45-degree angle, if possible.
* Keep bilges free of water.
* Seat passengers on bottom of the boat, near the centerline.
* If the engine fails, tie a sea anchor on a line from the bow of the boat to keep the boat
headed into the waves. A bucket will work as a sea anchor in an emergency.
* Anchor the boat, if necessary.
* Seek shelter on-shore whenever possible. Particularly avoid riding out a storm that includes
high wind and/or lightning, which is especially dangerous.
* Avoid contact with metal portions of the boat such as handrails, windshields, tower and